Friday, July 10, 2009

Picture a fist punching John Yoo in the face, forever.

Two new revelations this week in the whimpering, dragging-itself-along-the-forest-floor, gut-shot wounded animal that is the Saga of the Bush Years. First, the wiretapping program was way more extensive than the first five or six times they admitted it was more extensive than they said it was before. Second, the CIA hid a big program from Congress, which may or may not be "executive assassination rings" that reported to Dick Cheney.

So much for outrage fatigue.

You know what? You know that whole look-forward-not-backward, we've-got-bigger-things-on-our-plate, we're-still-at-war line the Obama administration has been selling? I'm over it. I am well and truly over it. I want criminal investigations, and I want them six years ago. If these cowardly hidden things that were done in my name had good cause, if they were done in good faith so that my children could sleep safe at night, then let's pull them out and see if they can breathe in the light of day. If not, let the bastards rot in jail, or at the very least sweat under the lights in front of a committee and the American people.

Once upon a time, Ford pardoned Nixon to "heal the country". It wound up doing just about the exact opposite. Transparency heals. Accountability heals. Truth heals.

And by god, I think we're owed some. I really do.

-- The Prolix Wag
Because sometimes righteous indignation is just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment